With the growing number of health risks caused by the contaminants and chemicals found in tap water, more and more people are switching to water filter systems. These systems are designed to reduce the amount of harmful contaminants in drinking water, making it cleaner, safer and healthier.
However, many filter systems on the market are very expensive. If you are looking for a cheaper option, you should consider trying a water filter pitcher. There are several things you should consider when searching for the best water filter pitcher.
This type of water filter system is already a mainstay in many homes not only because of its tag price, but also because of its portability. However, not all brands are built the same. As a wise consumer, you only want to purchase the best water filter pitcher from the long list of brands on the market.
Don’t worry, this article will help you choose the right one that suits your budget and your life style. But, before you rush out and buy one, you should learn a bit more about what water filter pitchers are. By doing so, you will gain an in-depth understanding of how effective and beneficial these systems really are. This understanding will help you to choose the best water filter pitcher for your individual needs.
The Basic Parts of Water Filter Pitchers
Water filter pitchers look just like ordinary plastic water pitchers. The only differences are that they possess a top reservoir, a filter cartridge and the filter itself. Some brands even have an electronic filter. Aside from these healthy additions, this type of water filter system also has a lid to cover the pitcher so that no other chemicals or contaminants can enter the water or spill out after it has been filtered.
The top reservoir is where you fill the pitcher with tap water from your kichen faucet . The water then enters the filtration cartridge where the actual filtration process occurs. There is also space to store the now healthy filtered water inside the base of the pitcher.
After all the water in the top reservoir is filtered through the filtration cartridge you can refill it with tap water until the base is filled with fresh water. You now have great tasting and healthy water that your entire family and even your beloved pets can enjoy without spending an arm and a leg on bottled water.
How to Use Water Filter Pitchers
The best water filter pitchers have easy-to-follow instructions and a simple design. Here are some useful tips to ensure that you get the most benefit from your personal best water filter pitcher.
Step 1 – Keep your water dispensing area and hands clean
One way to ensure that your drinking water is indeed healthier is by making sure that the water dispensing area and your hands are clean. You certainly do not want your water to be cross-contaminated with more bacteria.
Step 2 – Soak the filter in a large cup of freshly drawn water
This step applies to a newly purchased water filter pitcher and filter. Before you place it inside its cartridge, soak it first in a large cup of water for around 15 minutes. While waiting, wash your pitcher with soapy water and rinse it thoroughly.
Step 3 – Place the filter inside the cartridge
After the filter has soaked in water for about 15 minutes, take the filter out of the cup, making sure that it is clean. Insert it into the cartridge that is connected to the reservoir. Then place them securely in the pitcher.
Step 4 – Add tap water to the reservoir
Fill the reservoir to its capacity with freshly drawn tap water . Since the filter is new, you may want to dispose of the first and second batch of water to make sure that there won’t be an unpleasant flavor. This means you may have to wait for at least 30 minutes more to enjoy a great glass of tasty water.
Step 5 – Wait for the filtration process to finish completely
The filtered water will flow down into the base of the pitcher. It is better to wait for the whole batch to finish filtering before transferring the freshly filtered water into your glass.
Advantages and Disadvantages of the Best Water Filter Pitchers
1. Its compact in size you can bring it along with you almost anywhere. If you’re camping or traveling with your family in an RV, you can rest assured that your drinking water is clean and healthy by bringing along your water filter pitcher. Your water filter pitcher also assures that you no longer need to buy expensive bottled water along the way. Small and lightweight, this is surely the most portable water filter system.
2. You do not have to follow confusing installation instructions. Unlike other systems, water filter pitchers have very simple installation instructions. All you need to do is to make sure that the brand new filter is clean by soaking it in water for 15 minutes. Insert it in the cartridge and you are ready to filter your tap water.
3. Your water is safe to drink. Research says that water filter pitcher can remove up to 80% of all the contaminants in your tap water. Thus, it is effective in reducing the amount of mercury, lead, copper, zinc, and chemicals like chlorine. It also eliminates the odor produced by other contaminants. This means that your water is safer and more drinkable.
4. You have the option of healthy alkaline water. Some water pitcher brands can even target the pH level of the water you drink, making it more alkaline. If you are not familiar with what alkaline water can do for your body, recent studies show that it is beneficial to those with various health conditions. It is reported to destroy pepsin that causes acid reflux. Aside from this, it also said to provide healthy benefits for those who suffer with diabetes, high blood pressure and elevated blood lipids.
5. You can purchase a water filter for as little as $30. Other water filter systems for home use can cost more than $100, but a water filter pitcher can cost as little as $30 depending on the brand and added features. It is inexpensive to buy yet works great for everyday use and will be fine most people unless they suffer with special health condition that does not permit its use.
1. You have to be a bit more patient. Since the water filter pitcher is relatively small compared to other systems, it tends to filter tap water slower and in smaller batches. On average, you have may to wait as long as 15 minutes for the whole filtering process to finish. If you have a big family, it may be beneficial to purchase more than one water filter pitcher to save you time and insure you don’t run short of drinking water.
2. You need to replace the filters every now and then. Replacing filters is a must—you can’t buy one filter and use it forever. The pitchers have indicators to tell when it is time to replace the old filter. Just make sure to change them on a timely basis to ensure you are always drinking freshly filtered water
3. It cost additional money for new filters. Because you need to buy filter replacements at least once a month, the cost for your drinking water adds up a little bit. but its still a lot cheaper than bottled water and maybe alot healther too!
4. Your water is not 100% filtered by the process. According to research, water filters are effective at filtering potential contaminants, but they can only reduce the level of certain metals and chemical residues. A water filter pitcher is still not powerful enough to filter lead or any hormonal or pharmaceutical residue, viruses, bacteria or pesticides.
If your water has been exposed to any of the above mentioned contaminants, then a water filter pitcher may not be enough to purify your drinking water. In this case you should probably look into a reverse osmosis water filtering system that is specifically designed to eliminate a large spectrum of contaminants from your drinking water. In most cases you are drawing your water from a public municipal water source that has already been tested and treated for most contaminants.
The Best Water Filter Pitchers
Brita 10 Cup Everyday Water Pitcher
Trying out a water filter pitcher for the first time? Then you may not want to spend too much money. The good news is that one of the the leading brands, the Brita 10 Cup Everyday Water Pitcher, is also one of the least expensive models on the market today.
This product may not be considered best water filter pitcher,but it is still considered one of the most popular water filter pitchers not only because of its price but also because of its effectiveness that provides good value for the money. It’s capacity is large enough to fill 10 glasses of water for your consumption.
This pitcher’s single filtration system is very effective at reducing the taste of chlorine as well as the odor of your tap water. Although it is a standard filter, it is sure to make your water free from chemicals and potentially harmful contaminants like copper, cadmium and mercury.
Meanwhile, the material used to create the pitcher is BPA free. It is lightweight and portable, making it ideal to take on camping trips. Using this while traveling or vacationing ensures that your family can consume safer, healthier and great tasting water.
Like other pitchers made by this manufacturer, this particular item also has a convenient sticker filter indicator to alert you when it is time to replace the filter. Lastly, its simple oval design, soft grip handle and removable lid make every pour convenient and easy.
- Large enough to serve up to 10 cups of drinking water
- Affordable price and easy to use
- Simple yet beautiful elegant oval design with removable lid and soft grip handle
- Includes a 90-day money back guarantee
- Removes chlorine taste and odor from water
- The removable lid easily to falls off when pouring
- Issues reported regarding leaking
PUR Classic Water Filtration System
The PUR Classic Water Filtration System is included on the best water filter pitcher list because of its overall effectiveness in making water drinkable and great tasting.
This pitcher features MAXION Technology, a unique approach developed by the manufacturer. What makes this process a little different from the normal approach is the carbon and ion exchange that promises maximum reduction of water contaminants as well as traces of pharmaceutical chemicals. Aside from this, the carbon filter is created from heat-treated coconut shells.
Another notable feature why it is on the best water filter pitcher list is because of its large capacity. In fact, it can serve a maximum of 11 glasses of water that measure 8 oz. With its comfortable grip handle and a thumb-activated lid that covers the entire top of the pitcher, pouring fresh water into a glass is made easier.
With this pitcher, you can rest assured that no bacteria or foreign object can enter the system. The filter can filter up to 40 gallons of water and can last for approximately 2 months. The plastic material is also BPA free, and both the pitcher and the filter are recyclable.
- Large capacity can serve up to eleven 8 oz. glasses of drinking water
- Includes a filter light indicator to notify you when it’s time for filter replacement
- Reduces the odor and smell of chlorine
- Removes chlorine
- BPA-free and recyclable
- Can be a bit heavy, especially when it is full
- Pitcher handle can break
Nakii Long-Lasting Water Filter Pitcher
This is one of the newest and most promising brands of best water filter pitcher on the market today. It lets you drink water free of any contaminants and chemicals. In fact, it claims to reduce chlorine, rust, mercury, sediment and other particles by 97%.
What’s more is that the filter can also to reduce the hardness and limescale content of water, making it better tasting.
The carbon filter was created using an advanced technology developed in Japan. The filter is 10 to 12 times more effective than a regular activated carbon filter. Another thing that sets this water filter apart is its sleek and slim profile. It is specifically designed to be tall and thin so that it can fit into most refrigerator doors.
- Affordable price and great value for money
- Long-lasting and fast-filtering filter
- Reduces hardness as well as limescale content of water
- One filter can provide 150 gallons or 567 liters of fresh water
- Water Quality Association (WQA) certified
- Hole in the lid makes pouring water difficult sometimes
- Filter can become loose over time
Aquagear Water Filter Pitcher
While this brand is relatively more expensive than the other choices on the list, many people consider it to be the best water filter pitcher available on the market today.
Its powerful filtration capacity is undeniably outstanding and can remove 2000% more potentially harmful contaminants such as fluoride, chromium, lead, chloramines and mercury than other filters. It does this without filtering out the healthy metals and minerals too. This has been confirmed by international organizations like the Water Quality Association and NSF International.
Effectiveness is indeed guaranteed with this filter. In fact, it is said to be 3 or 4 times better than conventional filters, ensuring that your water at home is drinkable, safe, healthy and great tasting.
In addition to this, the filter also has a longer lifespan and allows 150 gallons of water to be purified and filtered for drinking and cooking, so you will save money by not having to buy a new filter every two months.
Just like other filter pitchers, the Aquagear also has a lid with a round hole where you will fill the water. It has an easy-to-grip handle to make pouring fresh water into a glass effortless.
- Powerful filters can reduce 2000% more potentially harmful contaminants from tap water than other filters
- 3 to 4 times longer-lasting than other brands
- Water Quality Association (WQA) and EPA certified
- Keeps healthy metals in the water
- More expensive than some other brands
- Takes a bit more time for the whole filtration process to be completed
- Does not allow refilling unless all the water in the reservoir is filtered
ZeroWater 10 Cup Pitcher
Another popular brand on the best water filter pitcher list is the ZeroWater 10 Cup Pitcher. Unlike the average water filter pitcher, this one has a transparent blue color. The overall design is apparently different from other water filter pitchers too. This includes the push-and-pour spout at the bottom of the handle so that you can pour water easier. This way, you do not have to lift the pitcher, especially if it is heavy and full.
Aside from this, you will also notice that the filter itself is bigger than conventional ones. That is because instead of using a conventional filter, this ZeroWater pitcher uses a 5-stage filtration system.
This filter promises to thoroughly remove 99.6% of total dissolved solids or TDS from your drinking water including sodium, potassium and chloride. This claim has been proven by NSF International who tested its ability to reduce lead and chromium contaminants. The result is fresher, cleaner, crisper and odorless drinking water. Included in the package is a free TDS meter that is battery-powered, making it a more effective tester.
- Large capacity contains up to 10 cups of drinking water
- Powerful 5-stage filtration filter that reduces 99.6% of TDS from tap water
- Makes water healthier, crisper and fresher
- NFS International Certified for reducing lead and chromium
- FDA Certified as purified drinking water
- Free battery-powered TDS meter to notify you when it’s time to change the filter
- Features a push-and-pour spout
- Water will most likely taste bland
- Dispenser at the bottom makes water flow slowly when filling a bottle or a cup
Choosing the best water filter pitcher you can find is the most inexpensive way to access clean and safe drinking water at home. However, not all brands can ensure the same level of effectiveness and filtration power.
The products listed above are among the best water filter pitchers available today. All of them have certifications to prove their claims and validate each of their features.
If you are trying this kind of water filter system for the first time, it is sometimes a good idea to start with the most affordable brand. However, if you are looking to replace your old filter pitcher with best water filter pitcher, it is better to invest in a slightly more expensive brand that promises better filtering power. You just need to find the best water filter pitcher for you!
Water safety is of primary concern for all households, so choosing the best water filter pitcher should not be an issue of cost but of effectiveness.