The best filtered water bottle for travel and outdoor adventures should be very portable, resilient, and able to filter water from different sources effectively. This means that the manufacturer which cuts the least corners when designing such a product will most likely be the best choice.
Also, portable water bottles have to be made using tough and lightweight materials. This is a slippery slope since cheap, thick plastic can produce such an effect, but brings a new dimension of problems in the process. Cleaning is another issue. Both the filtration system and the bottle itself must be accessible to easy cleaning methods, which are essential requirements for keeping a safe and tasty portable water supply.
That being said, the most important aspect of choosing a filtered water bottle for travel and outdoor activities is the filtration system. So, let’s take a look at three of the market’s best solutions in portable water filters for travelers, hikers, campers and outdoor enthusiasts in general.
Best Filtered Water Bottle for Travel and Outdoor Adventures
1. LifeStraw Go Water Filter Bottle
LifeStraw was initially a product that was meant to provide clean water to people living in countries that do not have or limited supply of potable water. It was a straw that has a filter in it so that people can sip water from any water source. Ultimately, it became a well-known company for producing not just filtered straws but also different types of filtered items, including the LifeStraw Go Water Filter Bottle.
The LifeStraw Go Water Filter Bottle is present in this best filtered water bottle for travel and outdoor adventure list not just because it was produced by a well-known company but also because of its versatility, ease of use and sturdiness. Its BPA-Free polymer body provides a safe environment to store water for lengthy periods of time without it suffering contamination.
However, the construction itself is a bit lacking. While it’s great for a casual weekend in the outdoors, there are some points where other filter bottles perform a bit better. From the start, leaking seems to be a small issue with this item. When placed in a horizontal position, the bottle might become more and more unreliable because of its somewhat faulty design.
That being said, other aspects of the design are good. The thin, hollow membrane gives it great filtering capabilities. It’s perfect for separating pond or spring water from living contaminants, which is something that’s rare even in home-grade water filters. The 0.2-micron filter allows it to be very efficient in this regard, but can also produce a slow water flow.
Moreover, the experts at LifeStraw also fitted the Go model with an activated charcoal filter, meaning that tap water will be better tasting and safer to consume. All in all, it’s a good product with some faults that could be improved upon in future models.
- Reusable LifeStraw Go BPA-free water bottle filters water while drinking; great for travel, backpacking, camping, and emergency kits
- Award-winning LifeStraw hollow fiber membrane water filter removes bacteria and protozoa from lakes, streams to ensure safe, clean drinking water
- 2-stage activated carbon filter reduces odor, chlorine and leaves zero aftertaste
- Removes 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria, and 99.9% of waterborne protozoan parasites without chemicals, iodine or batteries
- Durable, 23-ounce, leak-proof bottle made of BPA-free Tritan and features a food-grade silicone mouthpiece; replacement filters available separately
- Can remove up to 99.9% of pathogens
- Can eliminate chemical taste and odors
- Made using quality and food-grade materials
- Both filters are replaceable
- High Capacity
- Available in six colors
- US EPA and NSF compliant
- Slow water flow rate
- Not very resilient when it comes to leaking
2. KOR Nava Filter Water Bottle
KOR Nava is another manufacturer that has made a good name in the industry of filtered water bottles. As what they have mentioned, their logo, which is a drop of water, says it all. With that in mind, the KOR Nava Filter Water Bottle is another item with a lot of interesting features that are worth understanding.
While it doesn’t present a membrane filter like the other two items on this list, it does provide better water flow. This is because the KOR Nava Filter is designed with a coconut charcoal active filter, which is meant to separate chemicals from drinking water.
That being said, the user must supply it with tap water since the filter is unable to filter out any sort of living contaminants. The materials used in constructing the body are FDA-approved and BPA-free, meaning that it’s the perfect storage vessel for controlled water.
Its modern-looking lid can be used to anchor the bottle to a backpack or any other item for storage purposes. It’s also great for sealing the spout, which can prevent anything from contaminating the stored water.
The bottom line: the KOR Nava Filter Water Bottle does provide a good flow of water but sacrifices the ability to filter pathogens. From a user’s point of view, this can be either good or bad since it’s not meant to be an emergency water bottle filter, but a convenient way of bringing potable water on a trip.
- Made from BPA-Free Eastman Triton polyester an FDA-approved, health-safe material that's durable and beautifully clear
- Health-safe carbon activated filter made from 100% pure coconut shell
- Easy Flow technology eliminates squeezing, biting and excessive sucking; Perfect Fit Mouthpiece provides excellent flow and feels great on your lips
- Hygienic cap design completely protects the spout when not in use; opens with the push of a button
- Includes 1 starter filter and 1 filter straw with each vessel
- Great-looking design
- Can filter chlorine and other chemicals
- Provides good water flow
- Top-rack dishwasher safe
- Available in various colors
- NSF compliant
- Made using quality and food-grade materials
- Cannot be used to filter natural water sources
- Tends to leak
3. SurviMate Water Filter Bottle
SurviMate is a company that is dedicated to producing personal filtered water bottles and filter systems for outdoor adventurers. By far the most useful item on the list, the SurviMate Water Filter Bottle is a middle ground between the first and second items on this roundup. It brings the same filtering technologies found in the LifeStraw, but the people at SurviMate did a better job at applying these systems.
The SurviMate Water Filter Bottle is sturdy, and a lot of thought went into designing it in such a manner that it won’t leak when placed in a backpack or car trunk. Other than that, the two-stage filtration system allows the user to opt for tap or naturally sourced water. The active carbon filter will take care of chlorine, while the hollow membrane filter will be useful in removing living contaminants.
Both filters are replaceable, so it’s easy to perform maintenance when the water flow becomes severely impaired. That being said, compared to the KOR Nava Filter Water Bottle, the water flow will be inferior because of the fine hollow membrane filter. It’s annoying, but it’s a necessary step in providing safe-to-drink emergency water.
- 【Advanced Filtration System 】: Survimate filtered bottles have 4 advanced high-performance filters installed, they are: Medical Grade Hollow Fiber UF Membrane, Coconut Shell Activated Carbon, Antibacterial Beads and Medical Grade PP Cotton. Unlike traditional filters, Survimate protects you from Virus, harmful chemicals and heavy metals along with bacteria and protozoa.
- 【Safe Like Baby Bottle】：Survimate Bottles are made from Food Grade Tritan Copolyester, without any bad smell, it's BPA-free, FDA-approved, heat resisting and extremely durable.
- 【Long Lifespan & Replaceable 】：No need to worry about replacing filters for up to 8 months of continuous usage. Replaceable filters save you money as the water bottles themselves have a very long life
- 【Ultimate Wilderness Survival Assistant】：This versatile water bottle not only helps providing healthy, drinkable water in harsh outdoor conditions, but will help you to find direction using the built-in compass on the top.
- 【Instant Fresh Water】：Just fill up the bottle and drink. Nothing could be simpler - no pumps or hoses, no squeezing, no batteries or bulbs and absolutely no chemicals! Only sip 5 to 8 times to get clean water.
- Made of high-quality and food-grade materials
- Available in different colors
- Integrated with a compass
- Very slow water flow rate
From a casual user’s perspective, the KOR Nava Filter Water Bottle might seem the no-brainer, but that’s wrong. Any outdoor enthusiast will recognize that the SurviMate Water Filter Bottle is the best and practical bet for having an emergency water filter. It’s the only item of the three which will provide a reliable means of filtering water from multiple sources.
Last update on 2018-08-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API