There’s something near-mystical about the great outdoors, and nature and wildlife enthusiasts will all agree that nothing brings peace to mind like a quiet getaway with Mother Nature. What is more exciting is that today’s outdoor adventurers have the luxury of conveniently bringing different helpful products. In fact, stocking water for outdoor trips isn’t a prerequisite anymore because the market is filled with some of the best water filtration system for backpacking.
Having a filtration system will make room for more luggage which translates into a more extended stay. Apart from saving space, during longer stays, water filters have the benefit of providing users with clean, fresh-tasting water, which is opposite to stale, bottled water. Overall, a portable water filtration system is a perfect investment for the avid outdoor enthusiast, giving him or her more freedom of exploring the gift of nature.
However, why is it essential for hikers and outdoor enthusiasts in general to find the best water filtration system? Well, the outdoors, as beautiful as they are, can become an unforgiving place. A trip can quickly turn sour, leaving the participants in a struggle for life and death. In these moments, it’s essential that the present gear will work as intended.
If that gave you excitement or if you are about to purchase a water filter for your adventures, have a look at the three products that we have evaluated below for you to find out which one will work for you best.
Sawyer Products Mini Water Filtration System
The Sawyer Products Mini Water Filtration System is a top-shelf item for the average hiker. In a compact form, this water filter conveniently delivers fresh water. Designed and fitted with a great filtration system, this two-ounce wonder brings the convenience and freshness of filtered water to the mountain peaks.
Fitting comfortably in any hiking bag or backpack, the MINI comes in a great kit: a straw for easy consumption, a plunger for convenient cleaning, and a squeeze bag for storing water on the go. In addition, the filter has a good selection of attachments that allow the user to install the device on different spouted recipients.
This USA-made filtration system traps both living and chemical components of wild water because of its 0.1-micron sized filter. This is important since a lot of portable filters that are currently available on the market will only filter chemicals, leaving the user exposed to bacteria and viruses.
That being said, a very small percentage of filters have a fault, causing them to leak. In that case, the company does provide replacements to customers living in certain areas, so just make sure to check the policy before making the purchase. Other than this small fault, the Sawyer Products Mini Water Filtration System is a truly impressive portable water filter.
- Ideal for outdoor recreation, hiking, camping, scouting, domestic and international travel and emergency preparedness
- High performance filter fits in the palm of your hand; weighs just 2 ounces; 0.1 Micron absolute hollow fiber membrane inline filter
- Attaches to included drinking pouch, standard disposable water bottles, hydration packs, or use the straw to drink directly from your water source
- Removes 99.99999% of all bacteria, such as salmonella, cholera, and E.coli; removes 99.9999% of all protozoa, such as giardia and cryptosporidium
- Filter rated up to 100,000 gallons; includes two Sawyer Mini filters, two 16-ounce reusable squeeze pouches, two 7-inch drinking straws, and two cleaning plungers
- Comes with useful accessories
- Made of high quality, BPA-free materials
- Removes both living and environmental contaminants
- Specifically-designed for outdoor use
- Comes in a wide variety of colors
- Some models tend to leak
Survivor Filter Virus Tested Cleanable Portable Water Filter
The Survivor Filter Virus Tested Portable Water Filter is a product has a rugged outdoor look, a potent triple filtration system, and sturdy construction. Hence, this portable lifesaver can be a last-resort in a terrible situation. Its plastic connector can be threaded onto regular bottles or to the two canteens that can be optionally purchased if you want a full survival kit. The canteens are foldable since they’re more of a water bag than a bottle. In addition, they can fit snugly in any backpack, giving the user plenty of room for other survival essentials.
The mouthpiece is made using carbon, which is more durable and reliable than the plastic type. All in all, the Survival Filter Portable Water Filter could benefit from some improvements, such as adding a carbon fiber connector. That being said, it’s still one of the best water filtration systems for backpacking.
- Comes With TWO Heavy Duty Canteens!
- BEST INDEPENDENTLY TESTED FILTRATION LEVEL ON THE MARKET: Tested at Multiple USA labs to show Log 5 Removal 99.999% of Protozoa (Cryptosporidium, Giardia and Parasites) Log 5 Removal 99.999% of tested VIRUS (Phi X-174), STAPH and BACTERIA. 99.5% Mercury and 93% Lead Removal which Matches or Exceeds Most Home Systems. Just Ask us for Copies of our Tests!.
- LASTS LONGER THAN THE COMPETITION: Never throw it away thanks to the 3 Removable Internal Filter Stages - Membrane Ultra Filter which Lasts up to 100,000 Liters (26,417 Gallons), Replaceable Carbon Filter that last up to 1000 Liters (264 Gallons) and are simple to change and the Cotton Pre-Filters which last 264 Gallons a Piece (5 Extra Cotton Pre-filters included). For a Limited Time - Buy the replacement filters on Amazon for 50% when purchased with the straw!
- ULTRA LIGHTWEIGHT AND INCLUDES PROTECTIVE MOUTHPIECE TO KEEP BACTERIA OUT: Bacteria will never get into the mouthpiece of your device thanks to our proven 0.05 Micron filtration and the Special Flip Top and Mouthpiece. Plus the Survivor Filter is extra light at a weight of 3.5 ounces (100 grams) and is only 7 inches long for easy storage!
- LIFETIME WARRANTY AND 100% COVERED BY MONEY BACK SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: If For Whatever Reason you Don't Love Your Survivor Filter, Simply let us know and We Refund Your Money.
- Sturdy, lightweight, and compact
- Comes with replaceable filters
- Can be ordered in a kit
- Easy to clean and carry around
- Tried and tested
- Potent filtration system
- Survival gear appearance
- Threads efficiently onto recipients
- Plastic bottle connector can be damaged easily, causing leaks
- Canteens are a nightmare to clean
Boston Fortis Personal Portable Water Filter
The Boston Fortis Explorer Portable Water Filter has a bit of an interesting approach. Instead of taking the ultralight model that’s currently taking over the outdoor market, Boston Fortis have opted for a slightly bigger pump model. As opposed to having a water supply attached to the filter, it has a tubing system which allows it to extract water from a natural source (streams or lakes) and pump it into a container.
Design-wise, it looks like a run-of-the-mill piece of survival gear since it’s fitted with other accessories, such as a flashlight, compass, fire starter and even a mini knife. That being said, the quality of these “add-ons” is questionable. The filter itself suffers from a fatal fault. It pumps water twice as slow than other contenders. Also, it clogs quickly, something that can’t be tolerated in the outdoors.
Nonetheless, this product is equipped with three modern filtration systems namely: ceramic, carbon, and KDF. As such, its 0.1-micron filtration capability can prevent the consumption of most bacteria, chemicals, and minerals.
- 2018 ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY - Boston Fortis Explorer Pro Personal Water Filter / Camping water filter provides safe, odor-free, good tasting drinking water-even with frequent, heavy use. New Advanced 3-Stage Filter (Ceramic, Carbon Fiber and KDF) with Filtration of 0.1 Microns
- Laboratory Tested & Certified to remove over 99% of Bacteria, Microorganisms, Protozoa, Metals, Chemicals - exceeding EPA standards
- Additional Emergency Features integrated in the filter - Compass, Whistle, Flashlight, Mini-Knife and Fire Flint, perfect for camping, hiking, backpacking, explorations, fishing and all outdoor adventures
- Super-fast flow rate of up to 500 ml (17 Oz.) per minute; Compact Size: 6.6 x 3.1 x 1.8 inches; Light Weight 9 Oz.; Comes with Detailed Instruction Manual, Tubing, Advanced 3-Stage Filter, Carry Bag
- RANKED #5 BEST CAMPING FILTERS - BY WIKIPEDIA. Boston Fortis Full Money Back Guarantee and Limited Lifetime Warranty* Please SCROLL DOWN to view more SPECIAL OFFERS AND PROMOTIONS from Boston Fortis
- Sturdy main body
- Three-stage filtration process
- Comes with useful survival accessories
- Laboratory tested
- Low-quality accessories
- Requires constant removal of the filter to free it from clogs
- Slow filtration process
Best Water Filtration System for Backpacking: The Conclusion
From the information given above, we think that it’s not so hard to determine what the best water filtration system for backpacking is. In this case, for us, the Survivor Filter Virus Portable Water Filter is the one that brings home the bacon. It’s effortless to dismantle and put back together as well as has a durable construction. Likewise, it stays consistent with its performance, which is the most critical factor. In addition, it’s also very pleasant looking, highly portable and easy to use.
Last update on 2018-08-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API