According to the World Health Organization, almost 5.2 billion or 71 percent of the world’s population has access to safe drinking water. That means that there are about two billion people around the world who are still drinking contaminated water. This is a sad reality since contaminated water can transmit a lot of diseases like cholera, typhoid, and polio. Another unfortunate thing is that most people are still uninformed on how they can make water safe for drinking. When in fact, we actually have a lot of options to choose from, and these options are briefly discussed below.
Methods of Water Purification
Here are the some of the best ways that you can make water safe for consumption.
Chlorine, when used in moderation, can make water safer for drinking by killing the bacteria in it. However, you would need to wait for about 30 minutes before you can drink the treated water.
This is amongst the most popular and economical methods, but it requires fire to be able to do this. This method can kill viruses, bacteria and other microorganisms in the water but not metals and solvents. It is also very time consuming and therefore is not always a feasible way to accomplish this task.
Several different water filters can get rid of most bacteria and other microorganisms so that you can safely drink it. Large-scale water filters are quite expensive, but today, there are portable water filters that you can bring anywhere that are equally effective. An example of which is the Sawyer Personal Water Bottle Filter. Since this can provide you with clean water wherever or in whatever situation you may find yourself in. Below we will review this great product in detail.
Sawyer Personal Water Bottle Filter
- 34-ounce BPA free water bottle with 0.1 Micron absolute hollow fiber membrane inline filter
- Removes 99.99999% of all bacteria, such as salmonella, cholera and E.coli; removes 99.9999% of all protozoa, such as giardia and cryptosporidium
- Designed to have a high flow rate for easy access to fresh, clean water; easily field maintainable
- Includes 63mm cap, backwash syringe, and 2 replacement straws
- Recommended for hiking, backpacking, ultralight backpacking, camping, and emergency preparedness
The Sawyer Personal Water Bottle Filter is a product with a built-in filter that you can take along with you for all of your outdoor activities. Whether you are camping or hiking, this is a very handy and life saving gadget to have in your possession at all times.
- Approximate Weight: 5.5 ounces
- Height: 11 inches
- Total Capacity: 34 ounces
- Filter: 0.1-micron with a hollow fiber membrane
- Made of BPA-free plastic
- Accessories: two drinking straws, a 63-millimeter flip top cap, a storage pouch, and a syringe filter cleaner
- Meets EPA standards for water quality
- Eliminates 99.99 percent of protozoa and bacteria
- The lid can be used with other 63-millimeter water bottles.
- Can be used indefinitely
- Can filter river, lake, and faucet water
- Compatible with hydration packs
- Does not require electricity or batteries
- An earth-friendly alternative to single-use bottles.
- Instantly filters water
- Perfect for emergency preparedness, camping, and backpacking
- Lightweight and portable
- The manufacturer provides customer service.
- Easy to set up, use, carry around, and clean
- Comes with a user manual
- Does not remove chemicals and viruses from water
- Its design is not very stylish.
- Does not include a lanyard for easier handling
- Its lid is not spill-proof.
- Takes a bit of effort to suck water from the straw and to press the bottle for water to come out
The Sawyer Personal Water Bottle Filter is very lightweight and durable and that is why it is perfect for camping, hiking or traveling. It has a one-stage water filtration system that helps remove E. coli, Leptospira sp., and other types of bacteria, as well as protozoan parasites. The filter does not have a limit, so you can use it for as long as you need it; however, it is recommended to clean it regularly for optimal use. In addition, you may use the filter for other water bottles and hydration packs for your convenience.
The whole kit is effortless to put together, but if you will have issues, it comes with instructions. Cleaning it is also a breeze because it comes with a cleaning plunger. What is even better is that the materials used to make this product are free of harmful chemicals. Moreover, this water bottle filter can provide clean water to one person or a group as the capacity is large enough to do so. This also ensures that you don’t have to refill your water bottle as often.
On the downside, the design of this product may not look as good for the stylish hiker or camper as some of the other products on the market. Also, its lid is not spill-proof, so water may spill in case you accidentally tilt the bottle. Another minor inconvenience is, you may need to suck harder so that water comes out from the straw. This could be a drawback especially when you are extremely thirsty or when you are too tired.
Comparison with the Life Defender Water Filter Bottle
Like the Sawyer Personal Water Bottle Filter, this product from Life Defender is also made of BPA-free plastic. It also has a low weight making it easy to bring for traveling, hiking, and camping. Similarly, this water bottle instantly provides clean water; you just need to fill the bottle with water, cover it and sip from the straw. This water bottle filter is also able to remove 99.99 percent of bacteria and protozoans and can filter water from most sources.
As for their differences, this water bottle comes with a paracord bracelet with flint and has a built-in compass. This water filter bottle has a 22-ounce capacity while the other one has a 34-ounce capacity. Although both can remove bacteria and protozoans, the Life Defender Water Filter Bottle is capable of removing mercury and heavy metals because of its 0.01-micron filter size. Another dissimilarity is that this water bottle can only provide up to 1500 liters of water, but you may clean it for longer usage.
Also, this product comes with a carabiner and lanyard for easier handling. In addition, the filter can only be used with the bottle that comes with it, unlike the other one that can be attached to other bottles and hydration packs. The filtration system of this water bottle has two stages while Life Defender only has one. Finally, this water bottle filter comes with a satisfaction guarantee, and the manufacturer donates $1 to water.org for every purchase.
The Sawyer Personal Water Bottle Filter is a great product to bring on your next outdoor adventure so that you can have safe drinking water each time you need to be hydrated. You will really get a lot of value from this product because you do not need to regularly replace the filter as long as you clean it properly. Although this has some drawbacks when it comes to convenience of use and chemical filtration, we still recommend this product. That is because it is a versatile water filter bottle that you can use for a lifetime.
Last update on 2018-07-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API